On the 26th June 2018, at the 15th Baltic Military Fair BALT MILITARY EXPO 2018 in Gdańsk, a scientific conference was held and presentation were made on the Naval Hydrography as part of the national celebrations of the World Hydrography Day.
During the lecture session IVA "Maritime Safety System, Navigational and Hydrographical Support", chaired by Chief of HOPN Captain Andrzej KOWALSKI, the presentations were given by:
- Lieutenant EngD Karolina ZWOLAK: "The race to the ocean floor. Shell Ocean Discovery XPRIZE competition and its impact on possibilities of deepwater basin mapping development"
- Captain Witold STASIAK: "Interferometric pinger in hydrographic measurement"
- Commander Stanisław PIETRZAK: "Electronic Navigation Chart today and tomorrow. Standars S-100 and S-101 product specification"
- Mr Jan MAJCHER: "Measurements In the Svalbard archipelago as part of environmental monitoring seagoing"
- Mr Henryk NITNER: "Bathymetric data are essentials for the sustainable development of the seas and the oceans"
- Mr Andrzej ŚWIĘCH: "Wrecks from the First and Second World Wars in an interdisciplinary perspective".
The conference was attended by the Hydrographic Office of Polish Navy, Hydrographic Support Squadron of Polish Navy, Maritime Boards, Naval Academy, the Faculty of Oceanography and Geography University of Gdańsk, scientific societies and many others organizations.
In its "Naval Hydrography" exhibition stand, the Hydrographic Support Squadron presented the equipment used in hydrographical works:
- Arctowski -2 survey boat with the interferometr echosounder system
- two-frequency towed sonar
- remotely controlled ROV submersible vehicle.
Additionally, modern devices used for geodetic surveys the results of which are used in marine cartography were presented:
- GNSS receiver with a radio line - robotic tachimeter.
The Hydrographic Office of the Polish Navy presented:
- digital and paper charts
- sailing directions
- lists of lights
- lists of Radio Signals.
Furthemore, during the WHD-18 events, the Hydrographic Office of the Polish Navy was awarded with the "Laur Graniczny" Boundary Statuette by the Polish Border Guard and with the "Golden Propeller" Award by the Maritime Commission of Polish Powerboating and Water Skiing Federation.